~ GREETINGS FROM TEXAS ~
RV miles traveled were 1,465 – taking us approximately 3.5 days to arrive in Terlingua TX. Traveling was good and brought no unexpected surprises for us. Some interesting sights that always catch our eye are the landscape of the country that we travel. Since our travels to this area are much earlier than our first trip just this past April, we were quick to notice the cotton fields that seemed endless. And of course, new facts to share with our followers:
· Texas is the leading cotton producing state at 5.5 million bales (3 yr. avg 2010-2012).
· China is the largest grower for the same period at a whopping 33 million bales.
· A bale weighs 500 lbs.
· Cotton is planted Feb 1 in So Texas and harvesting begins July to late Nov.
· One bale of cotton can make 1,217 men’s T-shirts or 313,600 $100 bills (WOW!).
· There are currently 18,600 cotton farms in the US
Now, we get to the wind turbines – or wind generators as some of us call them.We are always amazed by these beautiful structures that line the landscape. The technical side of how they work can become a confusing explanation to the lay person, but we put together a couple of facts (from various Google sites) for you.
· Wind turbines generate electricity from the kinetic power of the wind.
· Large groups of wind turbines are called “wind farms”.
· Wind turbines can reach speeds at the tip of over 200 mph and the tips can reach heights up to 650 feet.
· The cost today for these commercial-scale turbines roughly ring in at a whopping $3-$4 million, installed.
Until our next update,
Hugs to all ~
Hugs to all ~
Kay & Jeff